We have spent hours researching and testing, to find the best solo microwaves for our readers.
We understand choosing the best microwave for your home can be a stressful task especially if you’re not to clued up on what to look for. But, luckily we have you covered! We have chosen the best solo microwave ovens and put them in a list below for you to decide.
Generally, solo microwaves are labelled the basic model, due to their limited abilities. Due to that, they are generally cheaper in price and lack in size and power. However, they are still a great asset for your kitchen if you need basic tasks to be done, such as; defrosting, reheating, and cooking.
Although solo microwaves are not as versatile as others like a grill or convection microwave, some more expensive models have a good variety of useful features built-in including, fast defrost settings, auto cooking menus and so on.
There is also a range of different capacities, styles and brands available although, the best microwave brand is Russell Hobbs. Power varies from each model, with higher powered models able to perform cooking tasks to a better standard.
But before we get into the reviews, you may need help choosing what suits you best. Again, we have you covered! We recommend you take a few minutes to read our helpful buyers guide!
Table of Contents
How to Choose the Best Solo Microwave
The reason choosing the right solo model can be difficult is because the amount of models there is to choose from. Below you will see the main factors you will need to take into account before making a purchase.
Of course a microwave is a permanent fixture is most kitchens, but it’s really no good if you can’t use it for what you need to. Most solo models range from 13-25L. If you have large plates or bowls, you may want to consider going for a larger model that’s 23L and above.
The power is measured in watts, and better models with have higher cooking power. While the majority of solo models are 800W, there are some that are higher and lower. However, we do not recommend settling for anything less powerful than an 800W model.
As stated earlier, the more standard a microwave, the fewer features it will have. Although nearly all of our recommendations have great features, you will need to decide which are best for you. The most common extra functions you will find are: Auto cook programs, precook menus (Pizza’s, fish, etc), quick defrost.
We understand people may have a budget set aside, but we do recommend buying quality. Although there are huge variations in the prices of solo microwaves (£30-£130) it is essential you buy a quality model, with a good reputation.
You must think we’re crazy for adding timer, because most home appliances have them now, but not all do! Also, some models will have preset timers included in the auto menus programs etc. They will help you cook the food correctly.
Ensure you have enough space for your microwave. Measure up the area you will put it beforehand so you know the rough dimensions of a model you need. Generally the size of a standard microwave is: H27 x W44 x D34cm.
That’s your personal preference, but most people buy models that suit the tone of their kitchens. Check out our best red microwaves here.
There is no better way to tell if a product is good, than to check what others are saying about it.
The Pros & Cons of a Solo Microwave
While solo models be the master of basic tasks, they don’t have the capabilities of more versatile models.
We have added this to show you the benefits of this compared to other microwave types.
- Generally cheaper
- Huge variety of models – sizes/power/functions
- Perfect for simple tasks
- Does not crisp or brown foods
- Limited capabilities
We have covered what we believe are the most important factors when choosing a standard microwave but, there are a few others we considered you might want to know.
We said earlier Russell Hobbs microwaves are the most popular. That’s because their models are all-round good value for money.
Companies like Whirlpool have fallen off in recent times, purely because they don’t match the others. With a good brand, you can expect a high quality, and high performing microwave for a decent price.
We only recommend the best of the best. Some brands you will see here are: Russell Hobbs, Samsung, and Sharp.
Although we’re sure their best efforts go into creating reliable products, sometimes an individual unit can be problematic. If the unfortunate issue happens to you, make sure you’re under a good warranty from the brand and supplier.
Thankfully microwaves only work when the door is shut, preventing us from getting cooked in our kitchens. However, it is important to realize the dangers of having young children around. Some models have childproof doors, preventing little ones from handling hot objects or having an accident.
Cleaning your microwave will be fairly easy. A sponge and some soapy water will get the job done.
What’s more some models have dishwasher friendly turntables which is quite handy.
The Best Solo Microwaves
1) Russell Hobbs RHM2563 – Best Value
If you’re in the market for the best solo microwave with all the bells and whistles then I suggest you consider this model. Why I say this is because, the RHM2563 has over 9 auto cook programs, which gives you the convenience to make your families most favourite dishes very quickly and easily. Plus, because of its price, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
One of my most favourite features of this solo microwave is the auto defrost setting. All that is required, you put the contents in, input the weight and the microwave will choose the best amount of time to have it ready for you. It’s such a simple and convenient function that many other standard models do not posses.
There is a lot more to the RHM2563 however. Take a look at its other qualities:
- You can fit the largest of plates inside as it has a 25L internal capacity, which is big for a solo microwave
- With the size you also get power. This model is 900W, ensuring cooking gets done quicker and more thorough
- Stainless steel design makes it very easy on the eye. This model would look great in your kitchen
- Built with looks in mind, it has a mirror reflective door, so you can even catch a glance of yourself!
- Tailor your cooking to you with 5 different microwave power levels
- Digital clock and countdown timer
- Childproof door
It looks fantastic, has many superb features, does not cost a fortune and has size and power. Its obvious to see why this solo microwave reviews are generally great on Amazon. Why don’t you take a look for yourself using the link below.
2) Samsung MS23H3125AK – Best Black Microwave
Do you want a black solo microwave that does more than the basic model, with basic and special features but does not cost a fortune? Well, you should probably consider the Samsung MS23H3125AK. The reason I say it does more than the standard solo type, is because incredible extra functions like Smart Humidity. It makes your life a lot easier, by adjusting the cooking times to make sure your food is cooked perfectly.
However, my most favourite feature is definitely the triple distribution system. A common problem with solo microwaves is, you can often find food has been cooked uneven, leaving cold spots in your meal. However, this technology ensures anything you put inside will be cooked evenly, eliminating any cold spots for good!
There’s a heck more great things about the Samsung MS23H3125AK here they are:
- With extra features is does the basics better than most solo microwaves
- Not only is it great for ready meals, it has 28 cooking programs so you can do, vegetables, baked foods and poultry, with the defrost and convection modes
- 23L capacity which is good for small household tasks.
- 800W output, but it also comes with an Eco mode which saves 40% energy
It’s obvious that this microwave has many impressive features not seen on most solo models. The versatility, is extremely helpful if you like getting busy in the kitchen, because it offers you more options with what you want to do. Having said that, it is a more expensive model, but as far as quality goes it cannot be doubted. This microwave has a lot of good reviews on Amazon and the majority are overwhelmingly positive. Why don’t you check them out for yourself?
3) Russell Hobbs RHM2076B – Best Selling Microwave
The Russell Hobbs RHM2076B is a basic model that will do the simple things, very well. The attractive design makes this model very popular with consumers. For its size and price, it’s a really nice looking product. The sleek and stylish finish, with its alluring mirror door, will make any kitchen a better place to be.
As well as is pleasant finish, this solo microwave boasts a good range of capabilities. With 800 watts of cooking power, simple tasks like defrosting, reheating, and cooking, become quick and convenient. The RHM2076B is a 20-litre capacity microwave, which will comfortably fit a standard size dinner plate. Also, this model owns a dishwasher friendly glass turn-table for easy cleaning.
Although the RHM2076B from Russell Hobbs is a fairly standard model, it still has handy features. A digital clock and pre-set function allowing you to keep track of your food’s cooking time. What’s more, the model has pre-programmed cooking menus for pizza, fish and popcorn, allowing you to make your favourite meals with one push of a button.
Overview of features:
- 20L capacity
- Auto cook menus
- Digital clock & timer
- 25.5cm Glass turn-table
- 5 Microwave power levels
- 800 Watts power
There are hundreds of good reviews about this solo microwave. Many consumers are happy with their purchase and they say how great it looks on the countertop. What’s more, the quality is brilliant and overall the RHM2076B is very reliable and great value for money.
4) Russell Hobbs RHM2362S
If you’re looking for a solo microwave that is, not only stunning, but very reliable then you might want to consider this one. The reason I say this is that this Russell Hobbs, looks absolutely fantastic in silver with many cool features. Also, it won’t burn a hole in your pocket!
I really like the cool features this model has. A childproof lock is ideal for those with toddlers in the house, as you will not have to worry about them having an accident. My most favourite feature is the auto-defrost setting. It’s very easy and convenient, all you have to do is put in the weight of the food, and the microwave will decide how long it needs to defrost. This helps you a ton. There are only a few things more frustrating than keep having to check on food.
If that isn’t enough, then this is what else comes with:
- Auto cook menus for foods like popcorn and reheating a pizza
- The turntable is dishwasher friendly, making maintenance easy
- 800W is the power which is good for its price
- 23L interior capacity, plenty of room for most basic tasks
- Displays the time with its digital clock
- Always know how long your food will take, with the digital countdown timer
It’s very clear to see, this solo microwave has many functions and features. Not only that, many people who own this, have great things to say. With over one thousand reviews on Amazon, the Russell Hobbs RHM2362S is one of the most popular basic microwaves out there.
Do you like what you’ve just read? Why don’t you check the reviews on Amazon for yourself?
5) Samsung MS23F301EAK
You should check out this Samsung microwave if you’re looking for elegance but pure simplicity. Although you will be paying premium due to its wonder aesthetics, its definitely worth your money if you want to add a touch of luxury to your kitchen. Why I say its pure simple, is down to the control system. It’s absolutely straightforward to use and does not have 10 buttons, giving you headaches and confusion.
With a class brand like Samsung comes excellence. Just like their other solo microwaves, this one has the triple distribution system. That aims to cook all contents evenly, minimising the risk of cold spots on your food, so you do not need to worry about under cooking things. What I truly love most is the little details Samsung added to make this all the pleasing on the eye, which is the ice blue digital display. Its beautiful and this model, not only does your basic tasks in style but also looks stunning in your home.
Now there are more features to this model that what has been explained so far:
- 23L capacity which is a good amount of room
- 800W output of power. Although that is not the most for a solo microwave, with the triple distribution system it is more than enough to see great results
- Anti bacterial and scratch proof interior, proves its high quality build
- Made easy to operate by ‘Easytronics dial control’
- Countdown timer makes it easy to know when your food is ready
- Digital clock displays current time in the ice blue display
- 2 year manufacturer warranties for piece of mind
As stated before, it is a basic solo microwave, but it does what its suppose to do better than any other model of similar qualities. It’s for no reason the Samsung MS23F301EAK has lots of great reviews from its owners. Why don’t you head over Amazon with the link below and check it out for yourself.
6) Russell Hobbs RHM2017
This Russell Hobbs is an incredibly beautiful, but large solo microwave. If you’re browsing for a model that can hold larger foods, and has more power than most, then you should definitely read this review. The reason this microwave probably suits you, is that it has a capacity of 25L which is considered large for a solo, and a power output of 900W, also considered great for a “standard microwave”.
Now, although it does posses a high power level and a large capacity, it does have many more benefits. My favourite point about this microwave is, it boasts 9 different auto cook menus. That makes it very easy to whip up your favourite meals in just a few minutes without needing Gordon Ramsey hang on your shoulder!
You can fit your largest plates inside, 900W power output, plus you get 9 auto cook menus.
That’s not all though, here are other reasons why you should consider it:
- Beautiful design with a mirror door, so not only will it look good in your kitchen, it will also complement you!
- A digital display including; Countdown Timer & Clock
- 5 different microwave power levels, so you can tailor your cooking how you would like
- An automatic defrost setting, which all you have to do is enter the weight of the food and the microwave will defrost for the correct amount of time
- Comes with a child lock door, so the kids in your home cannot open it and have a potential accident with hot contents
- Dishwasher friendly turntable for easy cleaning
It’s clear to see there’s a lot to love about this solo model. What’s more, there are hundreds of reviews for customers on Amazon. If you want to check those reviews out click below:
7) Russell Hobbs RHMM701R – Best Small Microwave
If you want to purchase a stylish, compact, red solo microwave that comes with some handy features, but you don’t want to fork out for one, then take a look at this Russell Hobbs. Other than the colour change, the overall design is similar to their RHM2563 model, which means it is perfectly simple to use. However, it does come with fewer features, but the price tag resembles that, with this red model being a bit cheaper.
What’s great about this model, its compact size makes it ideal if you have a small kitchen. With an interior of 17L, it holds a tag of being one of the smallest solo microwaves available. If you do not need a large capacity then this is a perfect choice (Assuming you like red!). To go with the small size, the power outage is 700W. But although generally, this is not a lot, its perfect for a 17-litre model.
Here’s more functions and reasons why you should choose this one:
- Ring alert tells you when the food is done. Don’t worry it doesn’t sound like a smoke alarm!
- 5 Power levels to choose from making it easy to cook to your preference
- Easy to use interface, with buttons and dials. Using this microwave is very straightforward, so if tech stuff isn’t your thing, then this is a great option
- Small and compact, meaning it can fit in the smallest of areas
It’s fair to say, the red Russell Hobbs definitely doesn’t tick all the boxes most would want when choosing a solo microwave. However, if you need a model similar to this, then it’s perfect for you. Want to know more, and see what others are saying? Check out the reviews from buyers below.
8) Samsung MS23F301EAS
Are you in the market for a basic microwave oven, that hosts cutting-edge cooking technology, whilst also having a sleek and stylish design? Well take a good look at this one. What makes me say this, is the beautiful silver design, that will compliment any kitchen it’s put into. Also, the incredible technology allows you to cook faster and more evenly, by specific distribution of heat. Plus it gives it that crispiness without leaving cold spots.
One of the things I like about it is the inside is an anti bacterial ceramic lining. Microwaves get dirty very quickly, especially if contents explode… We have all done it! But due to the lining, maintenance is made very easy and much more of a convenience compared to cleaning a different type.
Let’s take more of a look at what else it has to offer:
- The ice blue digital display gives it more style although it’s subtle
- You can remove the turntable so cleaning is made even easier
- Has plenty of room inside for most items, with its 23L capacity
- 800W power, mixed with the triple distribution system, your food will cook a lot quicker and more evenly than some higher powered models.
- One year manufacturer warranty keeps you at ease
- Very cheap for its build and design quality
You can see, the Samsung MS23F301EAS is a standard model. Other than the amazing cooking technology it has, it does not really boast many cool features. It looks incredible, and so are the reviews people who have bought it on Amazon. There are hundreds of them, and many all share a common theme. Go check them out below.
9) Sharp Solo Microwave R272SLM – Best by Sharp
If a high powered, compact solo microwave is what you’re after, then this is just right. Why that is because it has a capacity of 20L and a power output of 800W. Sometimes you don’t have the time or energy to stand over a hob and cook, but with this, you will get what you want very quickly.
What really makes this compact model standout among the rest, is it has 11 power levels. You won’t have to worry about choosing specific microwave meals, because with the number of power options you can pretty much cook anything within the capabilities of a basic one. What’s more, you get 24 auto menu programs, so if you’re unsure how long to cook that pizza, this Sharp will give you a hand.
More reasons to love this compact sharp is:
- Auto defrost settings makes light-work of the timing contents will take to completely defrost,
- For a quick reheat, there is an auto minute start button, which is very handy and another reason to love it.
- Useful kitchen timer, allows you to be busy with other tasks and it will alert you once finished.
- Safety is paramount in the kitchen and the Sharp has a child lock door, so it’s safe around young people who like to play with things!
- The whole design and interface are made to be easy. The operation is uncomplicated and practical for anyone. Just one more box ticked for loving it.
By a way, the Sharp R272SLM is the best compact solo microwave. The features, functionality, and looks are all outstanding, and this is a must-have. For even more proof of how good it is, there is a ton of reviews on Amazon. Go look through them below and you will see for yourself.
10) Daewoo KOR6A0R – Best Daewoo Solo Microwave
If you want an affordable, yet good solo microwave, that boasts an Eco mode, which helps on your bills then take a moment to check out the Daewoo KOR6A0R. In fact, this model is one of the first microwave ovens to feature an Eco mode. What you can do is set it to standby mode and it won’t consume any energy. Great, if you want to keep gaz and leccy under control.
My favourite feature about this one, is the dual wave power system. You won’t have to worry about your food not being fully cooked as the system is designed to evenly cook any contents. What’s also good, is you won’t have to put up with any cold parts. The end result is almost the same as a full oven cooker.
Clearly, there are multiple good things, regarding the Daewoo, but here’s a few more to check out:
- Concave reflective system evenly distributes the waves internally for perfect results.
- 4 auto cook menus allow you to make your favourite meals with a push of a button.
- 10 power level settings give you the freedom to cook exactly how you like your food.
- The auto defrost setting makes your life easier. Just input the weight of the contents and let the microwave choose the time it will take.
- The capacity is 20L. It’s perfect for small house holds, or families that won’t rely on it too much.
- Power output is 800W.
- This microwave is very safe, with its childproof door lock.
As you can see, the Daewoo KOR6A0R is great and has a lot to like. 98% of the reviews on Amazon are mainly positive, I recommend you check them out below.
11) Hotpoint Curve MWH 1331 – Best Mini Microwave
I thought I’d move away from the standard solo microwaves, and show you this unique design. Only take a look if you’re limited for space and have a decent budget. Now a great thing is for you is, it’s only a 13L capacity which is a very small microwave. That’s why if you don’t rely on one much but do need it for simple tasks than this is ideal.
Why this Hotpoint intrigued me to research and review is because of the shape. Its called a curve, as it can fit into corner spaces like a glove. It’s perfect if your tabletop does not have much room, as it will be tucked away in the corner, ready to use.
While it offers a great solution, it still has to be good right? Here are all the other functions of it:
- Although it is only a 13L and considered a small microwave, it does not do it justice. Inside there is plenty of room, and you can easily get a standard dinner plate in. The turntable is 28cm.
- Cooking quality is not lost, the 700W power combined with dual wave technology allows items to be cooked evenly and to a high standard.
- Five power levels allow you the versatility to cook with a personal touch.
- It boasts a digital display with a countdown timer and a clock.
- Great design means it looks awesome in your kitchen
- 2-year manufacturer warranties with 10 years parts. Good customer service from Hotpoint!
- Has child safety features
- Has defrost function
Looks great, sounds great right? But the only real way to find out how good it is for yourself is to check the previous buyer’s reviews on Amazon. Take a look with the link below.
All 11 models on this list are considered the best buy solo microwaves. As you can clearly see the best brands for them is mainly Russell Hobbs and Samsung. That doesn’t mean you should not consider other brands because the rest on here are great.
I sincerely hope these reviews have helped you choose the best solo microwave that suits you.
A lot of time and effort goes into creating these posts, and we encourage you to remember this is our own humble opinion.
If you find us helpful, leave us a comment below and be sure to share this post!
Founder of homeappliancegeek.com, avid cook, and lover of Asian food.
Signature dishes include Thai Red Curry, Chicken Saag, Bibimbap and Sushi.
Massive clean freak; a habit baked-in after spending 9 years in the catering industry.
The one appliance he couldn’t live without? Easily the dishwasher (total relationship saver!).